Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Thailand Branch, the Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC), and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Thailand addressing “Guerrilla Tactics in International Arbitration“, followed by a networking cocktail reception.
The terms “Guerrilla Tactics” have been difficult to define but prominent arbitrator Michael Moser described them as “unusual, unconventional tactics designed to delay and obstruct proceedings.” In a recent survey, 68% of respondents reported that they experienced what they believed were guerrilla tactics in international arbitration. Come join our distinguished and diverse panel of Thai and international arbitrators and lawyers focusing on practical examples and tips to overcome them.
Topics for discussion include:
· Attacks on validity and existence of arbitration clauses
· Spurious challenges to arbitrators
· Procedural delays and obstructions
· Enforcement problems
· Impact of Guerrilla Tactics on arbitration in Thailand and the international community
· How to curb Guerrilla Tactics and improve the legal profession
– Professor Jayavadh Bunnag, Senior Partner, International Legal Counsellors Thailand
– Victor Smith, Chartered Arbitrator, Charndell
– Mary Thomson, Chartered Arbitrator, Barrister-at-Law, Mediator & Adjudicator, Pacific Chambers, Hong Kong, St Philips Stone Chambers, London & Singapore
– Ratthakarn Boonnua, Partner, Watson Farley & Williams, Bangkok
– Vanina Sucharitkul, Registered Foreign Lawyer (California), Herbert Smith Freehills, Hong Kong
Moderator: John Frangos, Consultant, Tilleke & Gibbins, Bangkok
Who should attend?
Arbitrators, practicing lawyers involved in commercial arbitration, and lawyers in industry concerned with the arbitral process.
3:00 – 4:00 pm Registration at THAC
4:00 – 4:10 pm Introduction of speakers
4:10 – 5:10 pm Discussion of topics
5:10 – 5:30 pm Moderator questions and Q&A from audience
5:30 – 7:00 pm Cocktail reception
LOGISTICS AND REGISTRATION
Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC)
26th Floor, Bhiraj Tower
689 Sukhumvit Rd., Khlong Tan Nuea, Vadhana
Tel: +66 (02) 018 1615 (102)
Fax: +66 (02) 018 1632
How to register:
Please register for this event by 1 March 2017 by email at email@example.com or fax +66 2225 5475. For queries, please contact Vanina Sucharitkul at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ICC Thailand at + 66 2018 6888 Ext. 4210.
Free of charge