The conference will focus on the theme “How to make arbitration better”. We know that the flexibility of arbitration has a lot to commend itself as a dispute resolution option but it often receives negative press for being too slow, too expensive or too similar to the court process. This interactive conference will look at ways that the arbitration process can be improved, learn from other areas and “future proof” itself to become more relevant for sectors it isn’t currently used in or better for areas that it is frequently used.
The conference is primarily aimed at the CIArb YMG’s membership pool i.e. practitioners under 40 or students interested in building a career in dispute resolution. There is no requirement to be a CIArb member or YMG member to attend.
The keynote speech will be delivered by Lindy Patterson QC FCIArb, and the welcome address by CIArb President, Thomas D. Halket C.Arb FCIArb.
Following on from their remarks, the conference will move to several panel sessions and debates with the following topics and speakers:
- In collaboration with Young ICCA Panel 1: How to make arbitration procedure better – Rahul Donde, Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler and Young ICCA; Fiona Cameron, Gillespie McAndrew and Young Mediators; Mélanie Riofrio, Armesto & Asociados Árbitro; Catherine Anne Kunz, Lalive
- How to make construction arbitration better – Peter Anagnostou, DLA Piper; Laura West, CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang; Callum Murray, Amiqus; Marily Paralika, Field Fisher; Owain Evans, William J Marshall
- How to make investment arbitration better: Reform or revolution – Sebastiano Nessi, Schellenberg Wittmer; Athina Fouchard, Eversheds Sutherland; Jaroslav Kudrna, in-house lawyer at the agency of the Czech Republic
- Debate – How to make justice better, the arbitration of small claims – Rainbow Willard, Chaffetz Lindsey; Meredith Craven, White & Case
- Debate – How arbitration might make the world better – Dharam Jumani, Counsel, Chambers of Mr. S. U. Kamdar, SC, Mumbai; Rainbow Willard, Chaffetz Lindsey and Emilie Gonin, Doughty Street Chambers
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP
20 Castle Terrace