The California Lawyers Association Litigation Section is having its 2019 A Week in Legal London program from September 29 – October 4, 2019. The program is its 31st year and for the first time it will be held during the Opening Week of the Legal Year in London. British legal traditions and ceremonies are on full display during this week.
This is a truly spectacular program that blends exciting opportunities for interaction with UK colleagues at exceptional legal and historic destinations not available to the general visitor to London.
The program is limited to 60 participants and 20 registered guests.
Highlights for the 2019 program include:
- Opening Reception– The program begins on Sunday evening with an Opening Reception and Program Orientation for the entire group.
- Daily Activities – The participants will be placed into 5 separate groups for daily court rotations
- Red Mass Opens the Legal Year– Members of the judiciary and legal profession attend the annual Red Mass at Westminster Cathedral to mark the start of the legal year. This year will be the first time our delegation will attend this event providing attendees a glimpse into the splendor and British pomp which are on full display during the whole week.
- Witness for the Prosecution – The entire group (including guests) will attend a theater matinee performance of “Witness for the Prosecution”. There will be a moderated discussion of evidentiary issues following the performance.
- Inns of Court– Groups will enjoy lunch at the historic Inns of Court including Middle Temple, Lincolns Inn, Inner Temple, and Grays Inn.
- Temple Church– The Temple Church is located next to Inner Temple and will be opened for the group to visit. The Temple Church was built by the Knights Templar and was consecrated in 1185. (NOTE: The church has not always been open or available during past visits.)
- Reception and Gala Dinner– A spectacular evening in the Private Dining Room at the House of Lords, Palace of Westminster, will be held on Friday evening. This event is one of the highlights of the program. Prior to the reception there will be a private tour of the Houses of Parliament.
- MCLE Sessions: By participating in this one, week-long program, you can fulfill your entire three-year MCLE requirements: participants will receive 25 hours of MCLE credit. For updated program information visit: http://aweekinlegallondon.com/agenda.html
Guest Program – While you explore the world of British Law, your guest can join our Guest Program with unique activities:
- Bespoke Butchery or Baking in a Tent
- Hampton Court Wildlife Photography in Bushy Park
- Country Sports – Falconry, Archery, and Clay Shooting